Choc-steak story

Thank you, Mr. Google,

Yes, Google translates narrowing the gap in communication and make your chocolate cake taste good with steak! (LoL)


Dear Mr. Google translates, thank you for giving me the idea of writing my story with ‘the guy’. But before I proceed further, I have a question here, are you male or female? Or trans-female or trans-male? Or something else....”


I am sharing my story about the first experience I had on a date with a foreign guy, who could not speak English. He had difficulty in English, both spoken and written. We, I would say, were both like "chicken and duck". We did not understand a single word each other spoke. However, thank God, with the existence of Mr or Ms. Google translate people like me are able to pick up new languages and understand them well. It added joy and laughter to our conversations too. Trust me, our table was quiet, there was only noise when we both laughed. Don’t you think it is good to laugh at the end of your hectic day? It is good, isn’t it?


Above, the guy and I, below: friends😃

Arghhh... day by day, I am letting go of past memories, ready to experience new things in life. No more tears, no more sadness, no more negativity. I feel excellent! I don't have negative thoughts. I always get rid of it as soon as I can. I never let it stay long in my "black box" (my mind). I can feel more space in my head, letting exciting events in my mind fill the vacuum and the emptiness with the joy and laughter in my everyday life. As long as you know what you were doing. About the guy, I met? He was from Brazil, and of course, he is a Brazilian. He is a Chef at the well-known Brazilian Steakhouse located at the heart of Kuala Lumpur City Centre.


Although we could not speak in mutual languages, our "date" lasted for almost two (2) hours. The story begins when I first decided to have my meal with a well-known public figure at the Brazilian Steakhouse in KL. The guy whom I mentioned above was one of the staff at the restaurant. The story started when I placed dessert as my first order. I said, 

"Hi, please get me a Torta Brigadeiro". The waiter replied to me, "this is not steak ma’am; this is dessert (with the slang)". I replied "Sure, I can read this clearly here, and just get me this, please. What is the problem then, if it is a dessert?"

I pointed to the menu. Well, please guess what happened next? The same waiter called the Captain of the steakhouse. The so-called Captain came to my table and explained, they actually wanted me, or every customer that came for lunch or dined at the restaurant to taste their good meat/ steak and not just for the dessert. 

I replied, 
          "fine, I am a chocolate person, I could not hold the temptation of seeing this picture, 
           and that was why I placed this order first instead of steak. 

They laughed at me... OMG! They made fun of me! But I looked so composed and cool! Suddenly, someone wearing a long hat appeared. I believe he must have been the chef from the kitchen. He came and started to use the restaurant captain as the translator. I almost laughed out loud seeing how they behaved to make me understand the situation. The Chef apologised and said, he insisted on me to taste the steak, and he let me eat it for free. The steak was on-the-house. [Hey, don’t you think this was crazy?] 

I replied,  "sure, I could eat this for free, but please let me have my chocolate cake (Torta Brigadeiro)  first, then I promise to eat the steak later. I told them "this is my eating style; I eat dessert before the main course.” 

To shorten the story, along with my order, the Chef also gave me a souvenir (another chocolate). It was wrapped nicely, and he inserted his business card on it. Well, on my way out of his restaurant, I politely said: “Thank you very much for the hospitality”.  “The steak was so delicious and juicy”. “It was well a well-done steak!” “I have never tasted it elsewhere, and today is my first time having Brazilian food for lunch”. “I do understand now, why you insisted on me tasting your steak,” I added, “Thank you for the souvenir too”.  "I definitely will tell my friends about this place too".  I gave the guy a sweet, cheeky smile, and I left the place.


A little bit about this place… The restaurant’s name is Samba Brazilian Steakhouse. This restaurant is a well-known steakhouse in KL City Centre. Located at the Avenue K, building. So, everyone going there would definitely place or order the steak first, unlike me. Many steak lovers and lunch-eaters love to have their meal or dinner in this restaurant. During the peak hours, there is a long queue. Usually, a couple can quickly get their seats or table first then a group of four (4) or five (5).


At home, I was fidgety. I started to meddle with the business card which was attached together with the souvenir. I slowly added the number to my phone. The number was also in WhatsApp. I slowly typed the message, which said:

"Hi, I am the chocolate lady at your Steakhouse today”. “Sorry for causing you problems”.  
"Thank you for what you did today”. “It was very gentlemanly”. “I have full respect for you”.
"Let me buy you a drink at my favourite place in KL.” 

I received his response in less than 10 minutes. He responded to my messages, like this;
 “Hi, yes, I can remember you”.  He continued, "Where do you live?” “I live not far away from my workplace.”. “I only cycle and use public transport here”. “Share with me your location”.  

I was a little annoyed with his response. I was almost misinterpreted. However, on second thought, I told myself,  "Nina, this must be their culture of expressing their friendliness and please, Nina, don’t jump to your own interpretation”. Well, I replied to him "Please waze, Coffee Bean Ampang point". “I will be there at 5.30 pm today. See you, Mr. Chef!”


It was exactly at 5.30 pm, and I arrived 10 minutes earlier. I ordered my ice-chocolate. It was a hot and humid day. Ice-chocolate would be definitely cooling. The guy came at 6.00 pm. 

I said to him, “You are late by 30 minutes”.  
He replied telling me that he cycled to meet me. I could understand his words because he gestured very well.  Alright, then, we began our conversation using "google translate". Whatever he wanted to say, he would type on his phone and show me. I would do the same, type and show it to him again. We went on and on until our fingers were tired. Loll! The faster we typed, the more information we shared. Without realising it, we hit almost two hours there. Ha-ha! That is all about the meeting with Mr. Chef. You can imagine, after our last messages in Google translate, we probably walked around or probably ended up at the movies or whatever... 

Send me your feedback at harlina4@gmail.com... J J J

Comments

Popular Posts