A-hole-in-one...is the aim that matters...

A-hole-in-one is the aim that matters...


It’s so right, the aim that matters...

GOLF


Many people associate golf with the rich lives. I almost agree with that statement. The reason why do people always say so? It is because everything about golf from head to toe can be considered expensive. As golfers, we are not actually required to spend a lot of money often. The equipment is only at one time purchased. The rest, you can add slowly, for instance, you may change to a better clubs such as drivers, woods, irons, pitching and sand wedge. Of course, the more expensive they are the farther the balls would go. Not only that, having a good golf set is not enough yet, you need to strengthen up your skill as golfers. The skill that you needed so much can be acquired by engaging a pro. Of course, it comes with some fees for an hour. Besides, you have to pay for the green fees, caddies fees, buggy and drinks, and food are usually paid by the loser. Some golf courses don’t charge high green fees, and of course other five star courses you have to pay extra. But, it is worthy of spending so much for the green fees because you don’t feel tired during the games at the exclusive golf course. The nice scenery, landscapes, greeneries, sound of birds chirping are quite entertaining, and these can make your golfing so interesting and the time passes you so fast. At the end of your game, you feel satisfaction indeed! An inexplicable experience that one is looking forward! These are the reasons why some people are associating golf with rich lives. But as for me, it is more towards an affordable game. The luxury depends on the brand and items that are in your golf bag. The name of “expensive” is subjective. That is why I said earlier “I almost agree with that statement”.

Golf is a game for people who appreciate punctuality, discipline, patience, perseverance, focus, and creativity. I would describe it in one word, that is, golf is a “gentleman” game. Why do I associate these with the golfers’ traits? Let me relate these to the reality in the golf game. It begins when you tee-off. In the golf tournament especially, you have to be punctual at the starter point, otherwise, other groups will take your place, and of course, they would notice your hiccups for being late. You have to be disciplined, for instance, you can’t make noise when other golfers teeing-off. The noise will distract focus and concentration during the tee-off time. Golf is a time-consuming game. For the ninth-hole golf course, an amateur would take easily a half day to complete it. Unlike regular golfers, they will add another 9th hole to get its thrill and it becomes nineteen holes. You need to be patient enough to enter this game. Sometimes other golfers take so much time on the fairways or on the golf course, then you have to remain calm and steady! Of course, perseverance comes when you don’t give up easily in the game despite you get so much stokes due to you disadvantages or unskilful golfers. You have to know the direction of the wind when you use a putter to put the ball into the holes. It looks easy but trust me, it isn’t! It needs your creativity to think and act at the same time. You have to know the best time to hit. It’s about decision making and negotiating processes. It’s a gentlemen game. You have to be gentlemen enough to let other golfers past you on the golf course if your game slow. I hope everyone is agreeing with my view here.  

I am a golfer too. I have been playing golf since a few years ago, but I seldom played. I am still holding handicap 36. At the beginning of playing golf, I spent my free time mostly at the driving range. Of course, as a beginner, I have to practice swings, engage golf pro with the fees of sixty bucks per hour to teach me everything about golf. Remember my quote up there; golf is a gentleman game. However, a lady, like me would see golf as something more than to enjoy it but as the symbolism of the self-transformation.

The golf balls as the symbolism of all the negatives during the year when I faced some challenges, rejection, and setbacks in my life. I often played golf. Sometimes, I spent longer time at the driving range. The golf balls symbolise the challenges, and with the strength I had, I hit those challenges! One-by-one, until most of the challenges were surrendered and defeated. I sweated a lot, and I could feel the shirt I wore wet like being caught in a heavy downpour. I could take thirty minutes to hit a 50 ball bucket. It became my routine. I took the opportunity to polish up my stance, grip, transitions and etc. Hitting the balls had helped me a lot to overcome the heavy thoughts I had at that time. The shots were transformed on to motivational shots. At that time, I have been trying hard to get rid of the negativity that pulled me down. How with the golf stick that helped me to overcome the grief I had experienced over the loss of my loved one. It was a very painful experience. However, I am grateful that I went through it with flying colours! Alhamdullilah. The situation has turned me into someone new. I, at that time put so much hope of meaningful recovery. Yes, I did it my way! The feeling if I were to describe in the golf game was like this. You could walk in style if you could finish your game at the first time on the golf course. After many strokes, bunkers, bogey or double bogey, golf balls disappeared in the bush, an umpteen times almost gave up the game, but finally, you reached the final hole! Is the aim that matters at the end of the game! Of course, the score too that matters! But as a beginner, forget about your scores, forget about how people look at you and your face! Who cares! You should feel proud of yourself. You manage to complete the final of ninth hole! I could still remember when I stepped on to the golf course at my very first time. At the end of the game, I usually, shouted to myself, “Yes, Nina, you’ve made it” despite many challenges and setbacks you have faced to reach at the last hole and finally, you get onto the last hole.

Another episode, I could still remember the thrill I felt when the balls went into the hole after my third hit at the Par-4. That was full of enjoyment moment! If I were to ask people, what do people get when they hit the golf balls at the third stroke at the par-4? Of course, the satisfaction, the thrill and it improves up your self-esteem. You are indirectly showing off to others how skillful you are. You have put an effort to achieve it! You deserve to be happy. If you have got no self-confidence, you could not hit the balls, and your “driver” will hit the wind away from the ball, and your body will swing like “gasing” (a traditional game like a toy which designed to spin on the ground rapidly). This becomes part of the frustrating moments to golfers and so did I before. Nowadays, I seldom hit the wind. That is the thrilling moment as golfers when they hit the balls straight to the holes. Now, can you imagine, if that is a hole-in-one hit! You are feeling like someone who wins a jackpot. You can continue to imagine believing the winning prizes.


Golf used to fill my free time and loneliness. At the place where I am working currently, I could hardly see female golfers, so I spent more time on the driving range. When I go back to KL, I have my buddies who always want to play golf with me. I view golf as an exciting game. It’s full of excitement. This is regardless applied when I am on the golf course or at the driving range. Sometimes, it teaches me to be so observant towards other golfers’ way of playing the golf. You often would observe some golfers having weird characters when they are on the golf course. For instance, when they miss hit the ball, the word comes out from their mouth such as “oh I miss my bed”. It is prohibited to say any vulgar words on the fairways or while you are on the golf course. Don’t you agree that golf is a disciplined game and it indirectly teaches you to be a disciplined person? As for me, I would say yes! Only golf lovers would say yes! Likewise, only “Alfa lovers” would own “Alfa Romeo car”. Umphhh... interesting isn’t it? But you cannot say, only Jaguar-lovers would drive a Jaguar! Hehe, I was a Jag lover, but since my darling Jag left me for good, Jackie is left in the garage waiting for someone to rescue it with a thousand of dollars. I have posted it in the online advertisement. Yes, a Jag lover came to rescue it and, now he owns my lovely Jag. A luxury, stylish, fresh and yet comfortable car. Oh, that was my S-type Jaguar...


Reminiscing the moment again at the golf driving range, I usually would take the last corner at the driving range. Some people prefer a middle alley so that they can aim their hit straight. My hits were aimed for something. So, I instead chose the one that is not really seen by other golfers. At times, my hit did not get it to what I was aimed for. In fact, it happened many times. I would laugh it out myself. At times, I got the opportunity engaging in some conversation with some male golfers. They would walk to my alley and sometimes they were so generous to share some quality tips with me. Well, some of them were outstanding looking golfers, and some slightly looked like Charles Bronson. Old but still possesses the traits as a hero. Hahaha, I like Charles Branson anyway, he is always a good looking old actor, and I love some of his romantic scenes act. Rough but intriguing! Not bad though as an old man! Some of the golfers I met became my friends.

Golf tagline that I keep it until now is “golf is like sex, you don’t have to be good at it to enjoy it”. I agreed with this statement. I found this at one of the clubs I have been many years ago. It read and translated as little cheeky. However, it is true. If you love to play golf, you can just hit the golf balls without being so fussy to have a right or perfect hit or swing. Remember, practice makes perfect! That is why most of the golfers practice countless of numbers at the driving range.

My favourite irons are iron number five and seven. These irons could hit the ball far. Often, I only brought along these irons, one driver, putter and sand wedge on the golf course. I enjoy playing golf either with my friends or just by myself. It's time for me to reflect on what I did in the past and what I should do in the future.

Sometimes, my cheeky eyes would see a group of male golfers on the tee-off point. Some golf courses, it is a must to engage female caddies. Well, some of the golf flight they may get good caddies who can lead their hit straight. Sometime the caddies would motivate the golfers if the caddies are very knowledgeable in golf otherwise, the sweet and soft voice caddies, slightly good looking than the ones lining up for plastic surgeries would make the games more exciting and enjoyable for male golfers. I also experience at one time when a male golfer being caught of having a scandal on the golf course by the wife. Haishhh what a jerky! Both of them are jerks. It takes two to tango, and both of them tangoed well until the wife appeared! Well, this is based on my real experience me as a golfer.




Enjoy your reading, feedback, email to harlina4@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts